I fell in love with this tart when I tried it out in the restaurant. The combination of the salty goats cheese and the sweetness of the caramelised onions are irresistible. The flavours ain’t only the great thing about this dish but also the simplicity of making it. Just a few ingredients is needed and little time to make. You can even make the prep of the onions beforehand or a night before. I definitely know I’ll be making these savoury tarts again for a quick snack or a meal.
- 200g Ready made puff pastry
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 red onions
- 3 tsp of sugar
- 120g goats cheese
- 50ml of balsamic dressing
1. Finely chop the red onions and fry in the oil on a medium heat for 5-10 mins until they have softened.
2. Once the onions have softened add 3 tsp of sugar until the onions start caramelising.
3. Add the balsamic dressing, reduce the heat and cook for a further 10 mins until the balsamic has reduced and cooked. The onions should now look soft and shiny.
5. Pre heat the oven to gas mark 6 and grease a baking tray.
6. Roll out the pastry and cut into 6 equal squares approximately 4mm. Next score a border about 1 cm from the edge without cutting the pastry.